http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015mqp2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015mqp2
Paleolithic rock shelter.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

CHILHAM ,DENGE WOOD ,EGGRINGE















The day started at 0C a frost! and there came upon us a north wind.It didn't warm up much before 13;00.We RV @ Chilham car park,across the village square,and down to Bagham where we crossed the Great Stour at the mill,and walked up to Juliberrie downs by the Long Barrow.
Into Church wood and then Down wood where there was a ???of Goats. Emerging from the woods into open fileds we turned into denge wood ,and left the footpath to cross Penny pot lane,to Buck Beech,whereupon I lost my bearings(not unusual) so we walked on a compass bearing into the woods and then out again by the car park.We walked up the lane and into Eggringe wood,where I again lost my bearings and we emerged by Thruxted Mill,and then Stump Shave ,a lovely hilltop site ,the usual Buzzard viewed from above this time, we dallied for 5 minutes,and then took off to Down wood on the Stour Valley walk.Another pause to enjoy the view and then back across the river to chilham.
We were out for 4 hours and the most I could make it was 8 miles with 6 of us.

I think we will return some time,a great place for blundering around in circles.

I forgot to mention Jayne Eyre and Godmersham place where she penned some of her works.
We walked up a track that she used regularly,to visit friends,what would she have made of
our band of brothers?

In earlier posts,we mention the excellent Powel and Pressberger wartime film,
"A Canterbury Tale"which was filmed in Chilham, Chartham ,and the lane where Jane Eyre travelled.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:18 PM

    Hello, i am a french walker, and i'm planning to come to chilham and walk with some friends. I would like to get more informations about this walk that you've done.is it possible to get a map of this walk. How many miles?How long does it takes? My E-mail is jeanpierre.maes@sfr.fr I hope to get some news from you. Wich is the best period to go there, if we to see most of flora? My best regards Jean Pierre Maes

    ReplyDelete