http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015mqp2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015mqp2
Paleolithic rock shelter.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

SUTTON VALENCE ULCOMBE

Close up of tiles,upon consultation they don't look like typical Roman ones.
It looked very old to me, so I investigated and they say 2,500 years .
First mentioned in 1807 (what took so long)and has a girth of 31feet  2inches.
and its a female whatever that means.
Forgive me ,but do I detect incorrect usage?
.


.
the YOI
Oast Houses
.
The Castle at Sutton Valence,Castle? I hear you cry
From the jarrold pathfinder book, a walk of 5 miles below the ridgeway,then up the street at Ulcombe to All Saints church ,then back along the top
Very sunny,cold,but warm when walking,no wind, 5 miles 4 chaps.Mud
.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you didn't spend too much time in the pleasure house ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glen
    I bought a round of drinks (in 2006) which made me quite faint,so I steered everyone past the pub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:45 PM

    In the 1950's us lads of Sutton Valence were exploring the Castle and I found a spear head with barbs on it's steel shaft embedded in the rag stone wall on the inside of the Castle, just to the left of the south facing huge crack in your picture. I took it home to keep it safe but have no idea what happened to it. Wish I given it to the local musueam now.

    ReplyDelete