On this cloudy but dry and colder morning than of late, five of the intrepid
Happy Wanderers gathered at Reculver car park to set about a walk, part of
which had not been walked by this group before. Before the adventure could
begin there were three dramas to divert us. Firstly the astonishing news
(to anyone who has been on the Moon for the last 9 months) that Theresa May
has posted the letter to Mr Tusk invoking Article 50 of whatever Treaty will
get us out of Europe and so complete this Nation's shooting of itself in the
foot. Secondly was the car park ticket machine not functioning and, when we
phoned the advertised number to make the payment, the automatic voice
response said it didn't recognise the number of the ticket machine. There
was much wailing and gnashing of teeth before we decided to give up and not
pay. The third drama was when Mr P lost his rucksack; after accusing
everybody and anybody of moving it or hiding it, John advised him that he
already had it on his back.
Having settled all that, off we went on a circular walk following Wantsum
back through Hillborough, and Bishopstone passing various apple and pear
orchards on the way. About 5 minutes after a brief drink stop, Mr P
discovered he had left his walking stick somewhere "back there". A chorus
of "Come back Barry, all is forgiven erupted". From Bishopstone we passed
some rather idiosyncratic properties that combined elegant new builds and
elaborate extensions and ornate gardens with Steptoe's Yard and the Council
Tip. A pleasant lunch was enjoyed and then completed by Mr P enacting a
further "Barryism" in packing away not only his own flask but that of
another innocent, unsuspecting walker. We do worry about him. It was
agreed that as the the Youngest Member is temporarily unemployed because of
the Eldest Member's absence, he should be redeployed as Carer for Mr P.
Agreement was unanimous. We finally set off through Reculver Country Park,
passed a film crew and completed the 6.9 miles by 12.45. An enjoyable and
incident packed walk.
St John's Cathedral is located near Parramatta railway station and is the oldest church site in Australia in continuous use. In October 1788, soon after the first load of convicts arrived at Sydney Cove, Governor Arthur Phillip took a trip up to find the head of the Sydney Harbour (Port Jackson). Finding inhabitable land there he formed a settlement at Rose Hill (named after Sir George Rose the Under-Secretary of the Treasurer) and mapped out the bare bones of a town that extended from the foot of Rose Hill for one mile eastward along the creek. This place he named Parramatta as this was his interpretation of the name given by the first peoples to the spot on which the town is situated. By the end of 1791 there were one thousand people living in the district and they were ministered by the Rev. Richard Johnson in a large shed once a fortnight. In a letter to Governor Phillip dated March 23, 1792, Johnson states: "Last spring there was the foundation of a church laid a Parramatta. before it was finished it was converted into a gaol or lock up house, and now it is converted into a granary. … I go up to Parramatta, as usual, once a fortnight the distance by water about fourteen miles."
|The knapsack that disappeared|